I made this “breakfast” pizza over the weekend – it’s really just a pizza with an egg on it A few friends asked for the recipe so I thought I’d post it.
A word about cauliflower pizza – it’s kind of a little biatch. Sometimes it works great and sometimes it’s a little soft. But I’ve tried to optimize the recipe for best results, so here it goes!
Pizza crust Ingredients (makes 2 large pizzas or 4 mini pizzas)
1 large head of cauliflower
1 can garbanzo beans
1 cup shredded, low moisture, mozzarella
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
2 large garlic cloves
1. Put the cauliflower through a food processor (if you don’t have a food processor, use a cheese grater). This should yield roughly 4 cups of cauliflower bits.
2. Divide the cauliflower into 2 microwaveable safe bowls. Microwave the cauliflower bits for 8-10 minutes. The longer the better. Your goal is to remove the moisture. I’ve also had really good luck baking the cauliflower on a jelly roll pan (I convect at 350, but others have baked at 350 and had good results). Probably 15-20 minutes – just dry it out. If you don’t do this, there is no chance your pizza will turn out….just saying.
3. Drain and rinse the can of garbanzo beans and put it through the food processor. Your goal is to get a mashed up ball of garbanzo beans – like a ball of garbanzo dough.
4. Combine the garbanzo beans and cauliflower with the eggs, cheese and garlic.
Breakfast Pizza Ingredients (for 2)
Enough dough for 2 personal size pizzas, roughly 3/4-1 cup per pizza
Pizza sauce (I used TJs)
Italian Sausage (or breakfast sausage)
1/2 c shredded mozzarella (I go light on the cheese, totally up to you)
Italian seasoning (I have one that has some red pepper flakes)
1. I use a baking steel, but I imagine a pizza stone will also work. Put it on the top rack and preheat to 490-500F.
2. Make 2 small crusts on a piece of parchment. 5-6″ in diameter. I make them pretty thin – as thin as possible.
3. Bake for 4-5 min – you want it to start turning golden. Remove it from the oven and put it on a towel or a cooling rack
4. Add the sauce, sausage and cheese
5. Bake for an additional 4 min
6. Add 1 egg to each pizza and bake for an additional 4 min. It’ll run a little off the edge, you just want to be sure the yolk stays on the pizza.
7. Remove from the oven and add the tomato, basil and avocado.